Bloglines is a way to keep up-to-date with all the new posts on the blogs that you read. Helen reminded me of it recently and I've rediscovered it in all its glory. It's functionality is wonderful... basically plug in every blog you want to keep an eye on and everytime a new post goes out it will appear as a link in Bloglines.
It's beauties are:
- all new/updated posts appear within the Bloglines window, which keeps everything neat on your desktop and you don't drown in gazillion open windows (you can click on the links in the post to open them into new windows if you wish);
- by checking Bloglines fairly regularly you can keep up-to-date with your blogs without getting overwhelmed - I used to remember to check some of the blogs only every month or so and then had to spend a whole lunch-hour topping up...;
- once you've read the new posts of that blog, it disappears from your list until a new post goes up;
- you can mark some posts 'as new' if you like them and want them to appear in your 'updated feed' list permanently;
- you can tailor all the options to suit you, e.g., whether links appear in a new window/same window, newest/oldest posts first, display entire post/summaries, display items updated within 'X' hours/days; and
- you can mark 'all as read' if you know you've checked the sites individually outwith Bloglines or if go on holiday and can't be bothered reading the 403 new posts that await you!
The only disadvantage: I now read 44 blogs regularly...and the number is steadily rising! Gulp.